First Nations Health and Social Secretariat of Manitoba, UofM, Diabetes Integration Project and Manitoba Renal Program
The FINISHED screening program was a point-of-care screening program in nine rural and four remote communities in Manitoba that screened more than 1,800 individuals aged 10-80 for hypertension, diabetes, and chronic kidney disease. In addition to providing increased identification of risk factors to individuals, the program also raised awareness of kidney health and care at the community-level. FINISHED also provided the pilot evidence needed to develop and launch a permanent chronic kidney disease surveillance system in Indigenous communities across Canada.
- Lavallee B, Chartrand C, McLeod L, Rigatto C, Tangri N, Dart A, Gordon A, Ophey S, Komenda P. Mass screening for chronic kidney disease in rural and remote Canadian First Nations people: methodology and demographic characteristics. Canadian journal of kidney health and disease. 2015 Mar 19;2:46.
- Komenda P, Lavallee B, Ferguson TW, Tangri N, Chartrand C, McLeod L, Gordon A, Dart A, Rigatto C. The prevalence of CKD in rural Canadian Indigenous peoples: results from the First Nations Community Based Screening to Improve Kidney Health and Prevent Dialysis (FINISHED) screen, triage, and treat program. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2016 Oct 1;68(4):582-90.
- Ferguson TW, Tangri N, Tan Z, James MT, Lavallee BD, Chartrand CD, McLeod LL, Dart AB, Rigatto C, Komenda PV. Screening for chronic kidney disease in Canadian Indigenous peoples is cost-effective. Kidney international. 2017 Jul 1;92(1):192-200. doi.org/10.1016/j.kint.2017.02.022
- Harasemiw O, Milks S, Oakley L, Lavallee B, Chartrand C, McLeod L, Di Nella M, Rigatto C, Tangri N, Ferguson T, Komenda P. Remote dwelling location is a risk factor for CKD among Indigenous Canadians. Kidney international reports. 2018 Jul 1;3(4):825-32. doi.org/10.1016/j.ekir.2018.02.002
- Dart A, Lavallee B, Chartrand C, McLeod L, Ferguson TW, Tangri N, Gordon A, Blydt-Hansen T, Rigatto C, Komenda P. Screening for kidney disease in Indigenous Canadian children: The FINISHED screen, triage and treat program. Paediatrics & child health. 2018 Oct 24;23(7):e134-42. doi.org/10.1093/pch/pxy013
University of Alberta
A collaboration with University of Alberta hepatology researchers evaluated the efficacy of implementing screening tools for use in a hospital setting for people with cirrhosis.
- Tandon P, Tangri N, Thomas L, Zenith L, Shaikh T, Carbonneau M, Ma M, Bailey RJ, Jayakumar S, Burak KW, Abraldes JG. A rapid bedside screen to predict unplanned hospitalization and death in outpatients with cirrhosis: a prospective evaluation of the clinical frailty scale. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2016 Dec 1;111(12):1759-67. doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2016.303
- Ney M, Tangri N, Dobbs B, Bajaj J, Rolfson D, Ma M, Ferguson T, Bhardwaj P, Bailey RJ, Abraldes J, Tandon P. Predicting hepatic encephalopathy-related hospitalizations using a composite assessment of cognitive impairment and frailty in 355 patients with cirrhosis. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2018 Oct 1;113(10):1506-15. doi.org/10.1038/s41395–018–0243–0
- Kok B, Whitlock R, Ferguson T, Bailey RJ, Burak KW, Kowalczewski J, Tangri N, Tandon Health-Related Quality of Life: A Rapid Predictor of Hospitalization in Patients With Cirrhosis. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2020 Apr 1;115(4):575-83. doi.org/10.14309/ajg.0000000000000545
University of Manitoba and the Department of Physics and Astronomy
Work with researchers in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manitoba has been instrumental in developing new point-of-care systems for chronic disease biomarker measurements.
- Wu J, Dong M, Santos S, Rigatto C, Liu Y, Lin F. Lab-on-a-chip platforms for detection of cardiovascular disease and cancer biomarkers. Sensors. 2017 Dec;17(12):2934. doi.org/10.3390/s17122934
- Wu J, Tomsa D, Zhang M, Komenda P, Tangri N, Rigatto C, Lin F. A Passive mixing microfluidic urinary albumin chip for chronic kidney disease assessment. ACS sensors. 2018 Oct 17;3(10):2191-7. doi.org/10.1021/acssensors.8b01072
Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences at St. Boniface Hospital
Instrumental translational and clinical collaborative work with researchers at the Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences at St. Boniface Hospital focused on the perioperative care of people undergoing cardiac surgery. In particular, the focus was on the impact of frailty and delirium in cardiac surgery.
- Arora RC, Tangri N. All that glitters may not be gold: Changes in serum creatinine may not be the criterion standard for acute kidney
- Crosina J, Lerner J, Ho J, Tangri N, Komenda P, Hiebert B, Choi N, Arora RC, Rigatto C. Improving the prediction of cardiac surgery–associated acute kidney injury. Kidney international reports. 2017 Mar 1;2(2):172-9. doi.org/10.1016/j.ekir.2016.10.003
- Ho J, Tangri N, Komenda P, Kaushal A, Sood M, Brar R, Gill K, Walker S, MacDonald K, Hiebert BM, Arora RC. Urinary, plasma, and serum biomarkers’ utility for predicting acute kidney injury associated with cardiac surgery in adults: a meta-analysis. American journal of kidney diseases. 2015 Dec 1;66(6):993-1005.
- Jung P, Pereira MA, Hiebert B, Song X, Rockwood K, Tangri N, Arora The impact of frailty on postoperative delirium in cardiac surgery patients. The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 2015 Mar 1;149(3):869-75.
- Beggs T, Sepehri A, Szwajcer A, Tangri N, Arora RC. Frailty and perioperative outcomes: a narrative review. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia/Journal canadien d’anesthésie. 2015 Feb 1;62(2):143-57. doi.org/10.1007/s12630-014-0273-z
- Sepehri A, Beggs T, Hassan A, Rigatto C, Shaw-Daigle C, Tangri N, Arora RC. The impact of frailty on outcomes after cardiac surgery: a systematic review. The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 2014 Dec 1;148(6):3110-7.
- Sood MM, Tangri N, Komenda P, Rigatto C, Khojah S, Hiebert B, Menkis A, Tam J, Arora RC, Cardiovascular Health Research in Manitoba (CHaRM) Investigator Group. Incidence, secular trends, and outcomes of cardiac surgery in Aboriginal peoples. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2013 Dec 1;29(12):1629-36.